A Compelling Approach
Economics is at the heart of the transport sector: from establishing the boundaries between competition and regulation, to assessing how consumers behave and the impact which that behaviour has on company and industry finances, a combination of financial modelling, quantitative analysis, competition and regulatory economics is of vital importance. However, those skills on their own are not enough: our transport experts have a detailed understanding of the commercial, legal and operational issues in each mode of transport. It is the combination of these skills and understanding of context which makes Oxera a trusted adviser to a wide range of transport companies, regulators and government departments on regulatory, competition and business strategy issues.
- Business planning: pricing, demand forecasting and efficiency analysis
- Article 101/102, competition authority investigations and merger clearance
- Litigation and arbitration support
- Consultation responses, economic impact assessments and improving policy
- Regulatory advice/submissions
- Transaction advice
The Oxera CV
- Assessed the commercial viability of a new hub airport in the UK in a report for the Transport Committee of the UK House of Commons
- Provided state aid support to the Dutch government, carrying out a full economic assessment, including the market economy investor principle (MEIP) test before rail concessions were awarded
- Identified and assessed how to avoid overbidding for toll road concessions, for the Australian Department of Infrastructure and Transport
- Advised on regulatory strategy, design of regulatory mechanisms, and the cost of capital and efficiency to a top-ten international airport
- Support on numerous transactions, including rail franchises and asset sales, providing regulatory and traffic due diligence
If we can help you make your case better in the transport sector, contact Andrew Meaney.
We engaged Oxera to provide economic advice in Arriva’s response to Nexus’s decision on the Quality Contract Scheme (QCS) proposed for Tyne and Wear. Oxera’s team communicated effectively with us and our legal advisors producing analysis that was clear and credible. Throughout the project, Oxera’s team responded to our suggestions and feedback promptly and efficiently in the face of a changing landscape and were instrumental in making our case to the QCS board and ensuring a successful outcome. We would certainly consider using Oxera again for future assignments.— Arriva