Mohammed leads the Oxera teams working on commercial disputes, international arbitration, and state aid cases, and has acted as a named expert in a number of litigation and state aid cases in various jurisdictions. Mohammed has been named in Who’s Who Legal: Arbitration – Future Leaders.
On the commercial disputes and international arbitration side, Mohammed has vast experience in damages quantification and the preparation of compelling expert reports and testimonies on a range of cases involving breach of contract, contract termination and lost profits, reputational harm, and shareholder disputes. Mohammed was recently appointed as a named expert in litigation cases dealing with corporate valuations in the energy sector and shareholder disputes in the financial services sector.
On the state aid side, Mohammed leads the Oxera teams advising clients on state aid matters across a number of sectors, including transport, energy, real estate, R&D, and sports clubs and infrastructure. He has advised clients on the application of the market economy operator principle (MEOP) and the compatibility of aid assessment. Mohammed has published articles and presented at various conferences on state aid matters.
Selected project experience
- Acting as a named expert in assessing the damages suffered by investors as a result of fraud committed by a multinational bank based in Scandinavia (2020–)
- Leading the Oxera team in an Investor–State arbitration relating to the quantification of damages suffered by investors in solar PV plants due to the actions of a European government (2020–)
- Leading the Oxera team advising two different EU member states on the state aid compliance of large financial schemes to support struggling businesses due to the COVID-19 pandemic (2020)
- Acting as a named expert in assessing the appropriateness of the cost of capital assumptions in the context of a fairness opinion (2019–)
- Leading the Oxera team valuing a top European football club on behalf of its previous owner in a dispute with the club’s new owners (2019–)
- Leading the Oxera team advising a UK retailer in its labour dispute with a workers union on a pay increase (2019)
- Leading the Oxera team assessing the FRAND royalty rates on a portfolio of standard essential patents (SEPs) in a commercial dispute in China (2019)
- Leading the Oxera team quantifying damages on behalf of a multinational energy company in its dispute with its former JV partner in front of the Amsterdam Court of Appeal (2019)
- Leading the Oxera team quantifying damages on behalf of an international telecoms company in its ICC dispute with an international digital financial services platform (2018–19)
- Leading the Oxera team quantifying damages on behalf of an international pharmaceutical company in its LCIA dispute with an international drug manufacturer (2018–19)
- Leading the Oxera team as part of a third-party expert assignment in the context of a pricing dispute in the telecoms sector (2018–19)
- Leading the Oxera team advising a multinational pharmaceutical company on the compliance of public R&D funding with state aid rules (2018)
- Leading the Oxera team advising a local public authority in the UK on state aid compliance of an investment in the R&D sector (2017–18)
- Leading the Oxera team advising easyJet on the compliance of the terms of various proposed agreements with European airports with state aid rules (2017–18)
- Advising the French Ministry of Overseas Departments in the context of a state aid assessment of a fiscal measure aimed at supporting rum producers in French overseas departments (2016–17)
- Advising Valencia Football Club on its appeal of a negative state aid decision by the European Commission (2016–18)
- Advising an international airport on state aid compliance (2016–17)
- Advising a large investor in a sports infrastructure project on the assessment of state guarantees on loan arrangements (2016)
- Leading the Oxera team on assessing damages suffered by a multinational oil and gas company in an international arbitration case (2015–18)
- Advising a large multinational manufacturing company in the aerospace sector on compliance with state aid rules (2015)
- Advising Ryanair in relation to a number of state aid investigations and court appeals regarding its agreements with various European airports (2014–18)
- Advising a major European port on compliance with state aid issues (2014)
- Advising Network Rail on compliance with state aid rules (2013–14)
- Robins, N. and Khalil, M. (2016), ‘The Bitter Side of Illegal Tax Sweeteners: State Aid Investigations of Corporate Tax Arrangements’, Concurrences, 19 December.
- Robins, N., Khalil, M. and Taneja, V. (2016), ‘Tax arrangements under the State aid spotlight: the case of Apple’, Informa Comp Law Blog, 23 November.
- MPhil Finance and Economics, University of Cambridge, UK
- BA Economics, American University of Beirut, Lebanon
- BSc Mathematics, American University of Beirut, Lebanon
- Mohammed Khalil is a CFA® charterholder