Alfredo’s professional experience encompasses research and analysis of regulation and competition for institutions such as CONSOB and Autorità Garante della Concorrenza e del Mercato, and for firms such as Enel and Ferrovie dello Stato. From 2011 to 2015, he was Director General of Cassa Conguaglio per il settore elettrico (CCSE), the Italian clearinghouse of the electricity and gas sector. He was subsequently Senior Advisor at infrastructure investor, CDP Reti, where he advised on regulatory and antitrust issues. Alongside his work in business, Alfredo has taught at several Italian universities, including University of Bologna, Tuscia University, University of Rome Tor Vergata, and LUISS Guido Carli, where he currently leads the Economic Policy course in the Department of Political Science.
Alfredo graduated in Economics and Commerce from Sapienza University of Rome. He then joined the Research Department of Banca d’Italia, and completed his training at Northwestern University, USA.
- Professor of Economic Policy, LUISS Guido Carli University in Rome (2011–)
- Senior Advisor, CDP Reti (2015–17)
- Director General, CCSE (2011–15)
- Chairman and CEO, Mercados EMI Europe srl (2010–11)
- Member of Trenitalia board of directors (2007–09)
- Senior Vice President, Public Affairs and Competition, Ferrovie dello Stato SpA (2004–10)
- Professor of European Economic Policy and Institutions, University of Tor Vergata (2004–10)
- Senior Vice President, Regulatory Affairs, Enel SpA (2000–04)
- Head of Economic Research Division, CONSOB (1994–2000)
- Professor of Finance, Economic Dept. LUISS Guido Carli University, Rome (1994–2000)
- Managing Director, Financial and Telecommunications Office, Autorità Garante della Concorrenza e del Mercato (1991–94)
- Head of Research and Marketing Division, Cassa di Risparmio di Torino (currently Unicredit Bank) (1985–91)
- Manager in the Finance Department, FIAT SpA (1984–85)
- Economist in the Research Department, Banca d’Italia (1977–84)
Alfredo is associate editor of Mercato Concorrenza Regole
, and author of several publications on public utilities regulation, privatisation and financial markets. His book, Perché I’Italia cresce poco
, was published by Il Mulino in 2016.
- BA Economics, Sapienza University, Rome
- Visiting scholar, Northwestern University, USA