Michael is an experienced economist with specialist expertise in telecoms (mobile and fixed), media, and digital services. As a core member of Oxera’s TMT team, he applies economic concepts to the issues faced by private companies and public sector authorities to provide advice and support on matters such as the design of regulatory policy to promote investment, cost–benefit analysis, market reviews, state aid assessments, and litigation support for competition disputes and regulatory appeals.
Prior to joining Oxera, Michael worked for another economics consultancy as a Managing Consultant where he provided support to clients on projects across the fields of competition, regulation, public policy and auction theory, particularly in the telecoms sector.
Selected project experience
- Advising the Regulatory Authority of Bermuda on its review of all electronic communications markets in the island, including developing and implementing regulatory remedies (2019–)
- Advising a Czech mobile network provider throughout the European Commission antitrust investigation (Article 101) into mobile network sharing (2019–)
- Delivered microeconomics and industrial organisation training to the Irish telecoms regulator, ComReg (2020)
- Advised a telecoms regulator on a consumer protection investigation, including on the level of financial penalty to apply (2019–20)
- Provided a report for the Broadband Stakeholder Group on the impact at a local level of investments in very high capacity networks such as full-fibre and 5G (2019)
- Assisted the telecoms regulator in a Middle Eastern country with market reviews in the telecoms sector, providing support on market definition, identifying SMP operators. and recommending regulatory remedies (2018)
- Supported the Irish telecoms regulator, ComReg, with its strategic review of the retail and wholesale markets for non-geographic numbers (2016–18)
- Led the delivery of a study for the Body of European Regulators for Electronic Communications (BEREC) on the implications of 5G deployment for market structure, market dynamics, business models and competition (2017–18)
- Provided a quantitative evaluation of the direct impacts and deterrent effect of a number of CA98 cases for the UK Competition and Markets Authority (CMA) (2017–18)
- Provided an independent evaluation of the costs and benefits of the BBC’s Research and Development department over the previous Charter Period, to support the BBC’s Charter renewal negotiation with the government (2017)
- Prepared a research study for the Internet Economy Foundation on the role of access regulation in promoting investment in next generation access networks (2016)
- Supported BT Group in relation to its appeal of Ofcom’s decision to impose passive remedies as part of the Business Connectivity Market Review (2015–17)
- Conducted research for the CMA on the commercial use of consumer data in three UK business sectors: motor insurance, gaming apps, and clothing retail (2015)
- Flórez Duncan, F. and Weekes, M. (2020), ‘Incentivising Investment’, InterMedia, 48:1, pp. 32–36, International Institute of Communications, April.
- Flórez Duncan, F., Culham, P., Weekes, M. (2019), ‘EU broadband: co-investing in a faster future’, Agenda in focus, September.
- BSc (Hons) Economics, University of Nottingham, UK