Matthew specialises in competition economics. His areas of expertise include merger analysis, abuse of dominance and the effects of vertical and horizontal agreements between firms. He has provided analysis for clients involved in litigation, as well as those facing investigations by competition authorities in a number of jurisdictions.
Before joining Oxera, Matthew worked as an economic adviser at the UK Office of Fair Trading (OFT), now part of the Competition and Markets Authority (CMA), and at the European Commission. He has over 20 years’ experience as a professional economist and has been appointed economic expert in the context of UK High Court litigation proceedings. He has also advised on market investigations in a range of industries.
Matthew has acted as a non-governmental adviser to the International Competition Network (ICN) Working Groups on Mergers and Unilateral Conduct. He is listed in The International Who’s Who of Competition Lawyers & Economists. He also sits on the advisory board of the Competition Law Journal.
Selected project experience
- Advice to Bottomline on the CMA phase 2 clearance of its Experian Payments Gateway acquisition (2019–20)
- Advice to the Co-operative Group on the CMA Market Investigation into at-need funeral services (2020)
- Advice to Circle Health on its acquisition of BMI Healthcare (2019–20)
- Advice to Transport Canada on the acquisition by Air Canada of Air Transat (2020)
- Advice to CETIN on the European Commission Article 101 investigation into mobile network sharing in the Czech Republic (2016–20)
- Economic expert in UK Competition Appeal Tribunal fast track litigation proceedings between Melanie Meigh (trading as the Prinknash Bird and Deer Park) and Prinknash Abbey Trustees (2019)
- Advice to Post Office Limited on the CMA clearance of its acquisition of Payzone (2017–18)
- Advice to Utility Warehouse in relation to the CMA’s npower/SSE phase 2 merger investigation (2018)
- Advice to Co-operative Group Limited in relation to its acquisition of the Nisa symbol group (2017–18)
- Advice to Arriva Group in relation to its bid for the East Midland Trains franchise (2018)
- Advice to Tayto Group Limited on the CMA clearance of its acquisition of The Real Pork Crackling Company (2018)
- Advice to Fintrax during the CMA clearance of its acquisition of GB TaxFree (2017)
- Advice to Co-operative Group Limited on a number of UK grocery store acquisitions (2015–20)
- Advice to Arriva Group during the CMA investigation of its acquisition of the Northern Rail Franchise (2016)
- Advice to Macquarie during the European Commission clearance of its joint acquisition of four gas distribution networks in the UK (2017)
- Advice to Statoil Fuel & Retail throughout the European Commission clearance of SFR’s acquisition of Shell’s downstream assets in Denmark (2014–16)
- Advice to Severn Trent and United Utilities during the CMA clearance of their non-household water retail joint venture (2016)
- Advice to Just Retirement Group during the CMA clearance of its acquisition of Partnership Assurance Group (2015–16)
- Advice to an intervener during the European Commission’s investigation of the H3G/O2 telecoms merger (2015–16)
- Advice to an intervener during the CMA’s investigation of the BT/EE telecoms merger (2015–16)
- Expert advice to a client on a follow-on damages claim relating to the cylindrical galvanised steel tanks (CGST) cartel (2018–)
- Economic expert advice in relation to a High Court of Northern Ireland litigation (2017)
- Appointed economic expert in the context of a UK High Court litigation involving a restrictive covenant in a land agreement (2014–15)
- Advice to Bulgarian Energy Holdings during a European Commission investigation into abuse of dominance in the Bulgarian wholesale electricity market (2015)
- Johnson, M. (2020), ‘Better out than in: why barriers to exit matter for competition law and policy’, Competition Law Journal.
- Fanton, I., Droukopoulos, S. and Johnson, M. (2019), ‘Vertical mergers and the vGUPPI: quantifying vertical foreclosure’, Competition Law Journal.
- Droukopoulos, S., Chowdhury, A. and Johnson, M. (2015), ‘Most-favoured-nation clauses in the e-commerce sector: an economist’s point of view’, Competition Law Journal, 14:2, pp. 153–8.
- Makhkamova, L., Johnson, M. and Niels, G. (2012), ‘Under examination: The OFT’s Study into the Private Healthcare Market’, Competition Law Journal, 11:2.
- Buelens, C., Garnier, G., Johnson, M. and Meiklejohn, R. (2007), ‘The Economic Analysis of State Aid: Some Open Questions’, European Economy—Economic Papers, 286, September.
- MSc Economics, University College London, UK
- BA Economics, University of Sussex, UK