Oxera works with highly skilled independent experts who have a wealth of knowledge within their fields. These individuals are highly recognised within a variety of sectors and our collaboration with them means that we can offer the best advice, which in turn inspires our clients to make informed decisions.
Christian has a background in law, economics and econometrics. As a full-time member of the Belgian Competition Council since 2004, and Vice-President from 2007 to September 2013, he gained extensive experience in competition matters including cartels (e.g. in the Belgian cement industry), abuse of dominant position (e.g. against the incumbent telecoms operator in Belgium), and mergers (e.g. the merger between all cable operators in the Walloon region of Belgium). He is currently a part-time assessor (panel member) of the new Belgian Competition Authority.
Before his appointment to the Belgian Competition Council, Christian worked for a Belgian industrial holding company. He also advised companies and the association of Belgian banks on alleged cartel cases.
He has also taught and conducted research in the fields of industrial economics and economic analysis of law in Belgian, Dutch and French universities. He has about 40 publications (papers and contributions to collective works), including in Journal of Industrial Economics, Journal of Banking and Finance, Recherches Economiques de Louvain, and Journal of European Competition Law and Practice.
Christian has also acted as an expert for the Belgian Federal Planning Bureau, the Belgian Central Economic Council, the Brussels Stock Exchange, the European Commission, and the European Court of Auditors.
Selected project experience
- Drafting of decisions on alleged cartels, including in cement (2013) and the joint-selling of the football broadcasting rights of the Belgian Proleague (2005)
- Drafting of decisions on alleged abuses of dominant position, including in the distribution of the French press in Belgium (2012), fixed telephony (2012), debit cards (2006), the importing of motorbikes (1999), and a dispute settlement between Mobistar and Belgacom in the Belgian electronic communications sector (2010)
- Drafting of decisions on merger cases, including the acquisition by Swissport of Flightcare, groundhandler at Brussels airport (2012); the acquisition by Belgacom of The Phone House (2011) and Scarlet (2008); the acquisition of a controlling stake by Sanoma in Flemish media companies (2011); a merger in the Belgian cheese sector (2010); an acquisition in the Belgian mobile telephony sector (2010); the change of control of Charleroi airport (2009) and control of Fluxys, the Belgian gas TSO (2009); the merger of the cable operators in Wallonia (2008); a merger of on-shore handlers in the port of Antwerp (2006); and the acquisition of restaurants along the Belgian highways by Autogrill (2006); the acquisition of the Belgian financial dailies De Tijd and L’Echo (2005)
- Drafting of decisions alleviating the conditions attached to previous decisions clearing mergers, including the takeover of Canal+ Flanders by Telenet (2010) and a merger in the Belgian movie sector (2007)
- Drafting of the advisory opinions submitted by the Belgian Competition Council on the market analysis of IBPT-BIPT, the Belgian electronic communications and postal sector regulator (2004–13)
- Drafting of internal reports for working groups of the European Competition Network, including on SEPA (interchange fees for bank cards) and on the computation of fines (2005–11)
- Taught on training programmes in competition law and economics for Belgian public service civil servants (2008) and judges (1998, 2004, 2005)
- Reports on the pharmaceuticals market in Belgium (2004–05), the bank credit market for SMEs (2003), the liberalisation of network industries, especially electricity (2003–06), and IT industries in Belgium (2001–02)
- Reports on the structural competitiveness of the Belgian economy (2004) and industrial policies in Belgium (1997)
- Taught on a training programme in the PHARE project on state aid for Hungarian civil servants (Twinning report, 2001)
- Advice to the association of Belgian banks in the context of the European Commission’s investigation into an alleged agreement on the currency exchange market prior to the introduction of the euro (2000)
- Report on the European chemical fibres industry (1995)
- Advice to a Belgian cement company in the context of the Commission’s investigation into agreements in the European cement market (1994)
- Advice to Procter & Gamble in the context of the acquisition of the German company VP Schickedanz (1994)
- Report for the Commission, ‘Feasibility Study for the Establishment of a Credit and Guarantee Fund Mechanism in the West African Clearing House’ (1993)
- Report for the Commission, ‘Monitoring of the 1991 TACIS Technical Assistance Customs Projects’ (1993)
- Taught on a TACIS training programme on managerial economics for postgraduate students at the Warsaw International School of Commerce (1993)
- Doctor of Law, University of Louvain-la-Neuve, Belgium (UCL)
- MA Economics, University of Leuven, Belgium