A Compelling Approach
We find robust and innovative solutions to everyday problems relating to financial valuation in regulatory, competition, and litigation settings. We combine technical valuation expertise with an understanding of how markets and players work. We have deep links with leading financial academics in the UK and internationally, which helps us to stay at the cutting-edge of the field to tackle complex questions in asset pricing—such as the valuation of intangibles, asset-light businesses, and contingent liabilities. What sets us apart is that we combine expertise in multiple fields of applied economics and finance, including valuation analysis, behavioural finance, corporate finance, corporate governance and industrial organisation in tackling the everyday financial problems our clients face.
Over the past 35 years, we have earned a reputation for the quality and integrity of our work and for credibility with policy-makers, regulators, competition authorities, and courts and arbitration panels. We have been involved in all major price control processes in the UK since the privatisation of utilities in the late 1980s. Our financial experts have driven successful outcomes in commercial disputes, regulatory advice, competition law, due diligence and state aid proceedings around the world.
- Regulatory finance strategy and advice
- Financial analysis in state aid assessments
- Financial analysis in competition law cases including Article 101 and 102
- Valuation and profitability advice in market investigations
- Due diligence and transactions-related advice
- Investment and risk appraisal in relation to commercial strategy
- Quantification of scenarios in impact assessments
- Valuation and damages estimation in commercial disputes and follow-on proceedings
The Oxera CV
- Work for regulators and regulated companies around the world, driving major regulatory decisions. We are at the forefront of the debate in issues in relation to the cost of capital and the financing of network companies.
- Undertake financial analysis to assist clients with an extensive range of state aid matters across the EU, including state aid investigations of tax rulings.
- We have authored groundbreaking reports advising competition authorities on the use of financial tools in anti-competitive cases. We have extensive experience in, and understanding of, how competitive benchmarks are established and estimated.
- Advise investors on due diligence and valuation issues in the context of transactions, including development and application of detailed financial models for asset valuation, regulatory analysis, analysis of financial claims, debt capacity, and risk allocation.
- Advise regulators and private sector clients on cost allocation methodologies and the use of transfer pricing policies in multiple settings. This includes policy development, commercial strategy and regulatory advice, as well as support in market and state aid investigations. Examples include: advice on the economic profitability of retail banking business models, advice to financial services firms on cost allocation and transfer pricing arrangements, and analysis of whether transfer pricing policies are in line with market rates for competition investigations.
- Submit expert reports on valuation and damages quantification issues in a wide variety of litigation and arbitration matters. We have provided compelling expert testimony in front of courts and arbitration panels in the UK, France, Germany, Italy, the Netherlands, Hong Kong, Australia, New Zealand, South Africa, Spain, Canada, and the USA.
We found that Oxera's experience of working in economic regulation on both sides of the table, combined with their commercial experience, meant that they were able to make a significant contribution to the approach we took to some difficult economic and financial issues. They felt like part of the team rather than external consultants and impressed the Panel Members deciding the case with their professionalism and insight.— Competition Commission (now Competition and Markets Authority)