Oxera works with highly skilled independent experts who have a wealth of knowledge within their fields. These individuals are highly recognised within a variety of sectors and our collaboration with them means that we can offer the best advice, which in turn inspires our clients to make informed decisions.
Jan is a Full Professor of Economics at the University of Antwerp, Belgium. He began his career as a postdoc at the University of Mannheim, worked for two years at a major telecommunications company, and subsequently became Assistant Professor at Ghent University, moving to the University of Antwerp in 2001. He has taught at the College of Europe in Bruges, and is Visiting Professor at Solvay Brussels School of Economics and Management (Université Libre de Bruxelles). His teaching, delivered to both students and industry, has included modules on industrial organisation, game theory, the microeconomics of banking, competition, antitrust, and industrial strategy.
Jan publishes with academics from a range of universities in general economics journals, as well as in well-established journals in the field of industrial organisation. He contributes to the academic community by presenting his work at major economics conferences as an invited seminar speaker, acts as a PhD adviser, and is a referee for several top journals. His academic credentials have been recognised by governments and private companies. Jan regularly advises private companies and government administrations on regulation (price squeeze, market definition, etc.), and private firms on competition issues (abuse of dominant position, (vertical) mergers, etc.), in various industries (telecoms, media, energy). He acts as an expert witness before courts.
- Bouckaert, J. and Van Moer, G. (2017), ‘Horizontal subcontracting and investment in idle dispatchable power plants’, International Journal of Industrial Organization, 52, pp. 307–32.
- Bouckaert, J. and Van Moer, G. (2017), ‘Mergers and horizontal subcontracting’, working paper, April.
- Bouckaert, J., Kort, P. and Vermeulen, G. (2017), ‘Behavioral vs. structural remedies in merger control’, working paper.
- Bouckaert, J. (2015), ‘“Le (R)ROI est mort! Vive le (R)ROI!”: Regulation of electricity distribution in Belgium’, Reflêts et Perspectives de la vie économique, LIV, 1-2, pp. 147–155.
- Bouckaert, J. and Gautier, A. (2015), ‘Current challenges in the regulation of utilities in Belgium’, pp. 6–25 in E. Cantillon (ed.), Economic regulation in today’s Belgium, Re-Bel initiative.
- De Borger, B., Van Boeck, A., Bouckaert, J. and De Graeve, D. (2015), Algemene Economie, De Boeck, ninth edition.
- Bouckaert, J. and De Borger, B. (2014), ‘Intermittent electricity generation and investment in capacity’, working paper.
- Bouckaert, J. and Kort, P.M. (2014), ‘Merger incentives and the failing firm defense’, The Journal of Industrial Economics, 62:3, pp. 436–466. (Nominated for Antitrust Awards 2014)
- Bouckaert, J. and De Borger, B. (2013), ‘Price competition between subsidized organizations’, Journal of Economics, 109:2, pp. 117–145.
- Bouckaert, J. and Degryse, H. (2013), ‘Default Options and Social Welfare: Opt In versus Opt Out’, Journal of Institutional and Theoretical Economics, 169:3, pp. 468–489.
- Bouckaert, J., Degryse, H. and van Dijk, T. (2013), ‘Bertrand competition with an asymmetric no-discrimination constraint’, The Journal of Industrial Economics, 61:1, pp. 62–83.
- Bouckaert, J., Degryse, H. and Provoost, T. (2012), ‘Enhancing market power by reducing switching costs’, Economics Letters, 114:3, pp. 359–361.
- Bouckaert, J. and Peeters, T. (2011), ‘Noot: Het recente eindarrest van het Hof van Beroep te Brussel over de voetbaluitzendrechten. De afgezwakte verplichting voor Telenet: Pro Pro League?’, Tijdschrift voor Belgische Mededinging, 6:4, pp. 291–304.
- Bouckaert, J., van Dijk, T. and Verboven, F. (2010), ‘Access regulation, competition, and broadband penetration: An international study’, Telecommunications Policy, 34:11, pp. 661–671.
- Dhaene, G. and Bouckaert, J. (2010), ‘Sequential reciprocity in two-player, two-stage games: An experimental analysis’, Games and Economic Behavior, 70:2, pp. 289–303.
- Bouckaert, J., Degryse, H., Fernández-Ruiz, J. and García-Cestona, M. (2008), ‘Softening competition by inducing switching in credit markets: a correction’, The Journal of Industrial Economics, 56:3, pp. 672–682.
- PhD Economics, Tilburg University, the Netherlands
- MA Economics, Université Catholique de Louvain, Belgium
- BA Economics, University of Leuven, Belgium