Gareth specialises in competition, telecoms and media. He has advised clients from numerous sectors on a range of competition issues, including merger proceedings, abuse of dominance, collusion and vertical restraints. His experience includes cases before the European Commission, national regulators and the US FTC, covering sectors such as telecoms, broadcasting, airlines, energy, pharmaceuticals, FMCG, post and freight.
His telecoms and media experience includes advising a range of international clients, as well as regulatory authorities, on a variety of competition, regulation and commercial matters. These include mergers, regulatory impact assessments, wholesale-must-offer obligations, international pay-TV performance benchmarking, Next Generation Access pricing, copyright exceptions and content licensing.
Selected project experience
- Advised Virgin Media on its competition complaint to Ofcom in the UK, pertaining to an Article 101 TFEU issue with the sale of broadcast rights (2014)
- Prepared an assessment of the risk that the CMA would find competition issues in local markets, for a retail client considering a merger in the UK (2014)
- Advised Liberty Global during the European Commission’s Phase II review of its merger with De Vijver Media in Belgium (2014)
- Conducted an assessment of the total impact that an aeronautical telecoms network would have on the UK economy, for Inmarsat (2014)
- Assisted Liberty Global with its Form CO filing to DG Competition for its joint takeover with Discovery Communications of all3Media (2014)
- Assisted with an assessment of the impact that safe harbour laws can have on Internet intermediary liability, for a large technology client (2014)
- Advised Liberty Global during the European Commission’s Phase II review of its merger with Ziggo in the Netherlands (2014)
- Report for the European Commission (DG MARKT) presenting a methodology for the economic assessment of amendments to copyright exceptions (2013)
- Study for a leading international broadcaster assessing the relative performance of its various international operations against market-adjusted benchmarks (2013)
- Advising on the merger between Virgin Atlantic and Delta Airlines, before the European Commission (Phase II) and the US DoJ (2013)
- Advice to a leading FMCG producer in its defence against allegations of facilitating a hub-and-spoke cartel between retailers in Belgium (2013)
- Advice to a leading pharmaceutical client on the potential antitrust issues around a proposed rebate pricing scheme (2013)
- Advice to an airline client in its defence against a hostile takeover bid, in front of the European Commission (2012–13)
- Study for a leading technology manufacturer evaluating the impact of patent infringement litigation activity on corporate value (2013)
- Review of Ofcom’s impact assessment in relation to a proposed intervention in the broadband and phone retail market, for a consortium of leading providers (2012)
- Preparing an impact assessment in relation to a proposed Ofgem intervention into the retail energy market, for a leading UK energy supplier (2012)
- Assisting a freight-forwarding client in its defence against alleged collusive behaviour, as well as in its claims for damages from collusion by airlines (2012)
- Advising on Hertz’s merger with Dollar Thrifty Group, before the US FTC (2012)
- Report for the European Commission (DG InfSoc, now Connect) on the appropriate regulation of next generation access pricing (2012)
- Evaluation of Ofcom’s cost modelling in a margin squeeze complaint against a major UK telecoms provider (2012)
- Preparing a pre-emptive impact assessment of a hypothetical wholesale must-offer obligation for a leading international broadcaster (2011)
- Advising on the merger between Novartis and Alcon before the European Commission (Phase II) (2010)
- Haydock, J., Langus, G., Lipatov, V., Neven, D. and Shier, G. (2012), ‘Costing methodologies and incentives to invest in fibre’, European Commission DG Information Society and Media (now DG Connect), July.
- Caffarra, C., Edwards, G., Dantcheva, H. and Shier, G. (2012), ‘Ofcom’s Impact Assessment of Changes to Switching Options for Fixed Voice / Broadband Lines: An Economic Review’, Ofcom, May.
- MSc Economics, University College London
- BSc Economics, University of Birmingham